Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing inbox problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

knappagh1

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
GB
Hi all,

We have a user who has managed to "loose their inbox". It has since being found but on a different computer in a different site.

Some background information for you now. The user was at one of our other sites (site 2) yesterday and wanted to use/check emails for the duration of the day. This is not as issue since it is a regular occurance. She logged onto the computer, accessed her emails and pressed F9 to update her mailbox from the last time she was there. The mailbox updated and all was good. This morning, she was back at her normal workstation (site 1) but when she opened her emails, all of her folders and emails were present except her inbox (the folder was there but no emails).

On the off chance, a colleague at site 2 checked the computer where she had logged into, and there was her inbox, fully intact, containing all emails. As the day has gone one, she has being able to send emails and recieve notifactions of emails being sent to her from her workstation in site 1 but none of the emails appear in her inbox. But they do appear in the inbox on the workstation which she used in site 2.

The server architecture of the sites is fairly simple. We have only 1 exchange server based in site one. Linking the sites we have a dedicated 2mb line. There is a DC in each site.

Now, for the questions...
1) Has anyone else seen this or similar happen before??
2) what can we do to resolve this??

To those who reply, i apologise for the length and thank you for taking the time to read it!!!

Paddy

Sounds very much like a PST file was involved by accident and all the emails dropped into it. DOn't know how it got set up like that but have the person on the other site check for a PST file and if (when) she finds one get her to copy it to somewhere you can get to it. Then drop it all back into the mailbox.
Make sure that someone deletes the Windows profile of the site 1 user from the site 2 workstation just in case she goes there and logs on again.

If nobody finds a PST file you should let us know.

Hi mark, thanks for the reply.

I got the workstation they were using across form the other site this morning and was able to get the pst off it and onto her current machine. I just have one question for you though, you mentioned deleting the users profile of the workstation from site 2. Why should i do this? (please note, im not doubting your wisdom here, im just trying to understand ehy i should do this.)

Thanks again,

Paddy

Well, the profile on the PC contains the configuration to connect up to Exchange again, including the instruction to drop stuff into a PST rather than just leave it all on the mailbox and not have a PST anyway.

So, I could have given you advice on how to tear that configuration out of the profile or I could have just told you to delete the users profile from the box.

Given that it's a user who only used that workstation the once I figured it'd be quicker, easier and less messy :)

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back