Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing header files

Status
Not open for further replies.

chigley

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
GB
Hello,

I want to do some development using the windows SDK. This is the closest forum I can find for my question. I have installed the latest SDK but when I add the include directory to my compiler it complains about unreferenced header files. Eg stdio.h

Sure enough stdio.h is not in the include directory. I thought the windows SDK included all the common-ore-garden header files. And they don't get more common than stdio.

Where else can you get the headers? Or should they DEFO have come with the SDK?

Thanks in advance

Charlie Benger-Stevenson
Hart Hill IT Ltd

I can't imagine how MS VC++ compiler can "complain about UNREFERENCED header files". Of course, no C and C++ libraries header files in SDK include directory. All this stuff are placed in include directory of the VC compiler installation.
May be I don't understand your question?..

Hi ArkM,

Thanks for the timely reply. My question is why is stdio.h not in the include directory of the sdk, essentially.

Of course, no C and C++ libraries header files in SDK include directory. All this stuff are placed in include directory of the VC compiler installation.

It was my understanding that the platform SDK contains up to the minute header files. Since VC++ was released there have been many patches to the OS, and the SDK is a good way to keep up to date, so you should/could switch your include paths in VC++ to use the SDK. Except when you do, it has obviously winged to me that it has these unreferenced files.

I have downloaded the 6.1 service pack release of the SDK for Vista and am going to give that a whirl. Will post back with findings.

Cheers

Charlie Benger-Stevenson
Hart Hill IT Ltd

Yep found it. Must have downloaded the wrong SDK? Not sure I did, but still. The latest one has the headers. There is a VC directory and they are all in there.

Charlie Benger-Stevenson
Hart Hill IT Ltd

Depends on which version of VS you're running. Later versions had a special SDK directory. In the earlier versions it was part of VC/include.

By SDK I assume you mean not .NET and not MFC.

Strictly speaking, C and C++ library headers (stdio.h, for example) do not depend on Windows API at all. The real dependency was incapsulated in the depth of RTL codes and RTL sources have its own headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back