Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing file system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coronel

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2005
US
Hi Folks.
How are you doing?
Mi problem is when i boot the pc, the system cannot find or the file called "SYSTEM" is damaged or corrupted which shows me the location on the hdd.
c:\windows\system32\config\system.

So, my question is:
where can i get that file from the windows installation cd in order to replace it using recovery console; in other words, where is the SYSTEM file location on the installation cd?

Thanks in advance.

many of the windows files are compressed or in a CAB file.

Is this a boot error or after windows loads?

if it is on boot you may be lucky and be able to run the recovery console and then run FIXBOOT , do a help to list all available commands the other common one is the NTLDR problem and there is a fix utility for that too.

If that won't do the job and it's after windows starts to load, you can do a repair install.

this will reload windows but leave all your installed apps intact, you will still need to do a windows update to get any patches etc.. but it's still better than wiping and starting again!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Run System File Checker. for help: sfc /?

scf /scannow

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back