Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing File Name when Attempting to Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekelly68

Programmer
May 23, 2008
US
I am having difficulties restoring data from tapes. A little background: The data was backed up using a windows server from unix client to Exabyte 8MM Tapes. I no longer have the original machine or the Arcserve database. I reinstalled Arcserve on another windows box and I am trying to restore to an alternate location.

I have merged the data from the tape into the new database, and all the files I expect are listed. However, when I try to do a restore I get the following error message for every file:

W3402 Unable to Create File (FILE = C:\Data, EC = FILE EXISTS)

C:\Data is the alternate directory I inputed, which gets created if necessary, but no other files are restored. Once I got the same error, but with the FILE = C:\Data\$TMP\$TMP. .. This leads me to believe that the file names/paths are being properly formed on the restore attempt.

Am I missing a step? Or is this a bug with a fix I am missing. I am running Arcserve 7.0 (Build 1110). I realize this is old software, but I don't have much of a choice.

Thanks for any help
Eric

In general data backed up via a cross platform client agent has to be restored via that same client agent.

so you might have to setup a UNIX box, install the UNIX client agent and restore back to that client agent for this to work.

Thanks for your help, that was indeed the problem. I had installed the Arcserve for Workgroup, which didn't have the Unix Client capability. I found the code for the Advanced Edition and reinstalled. I could have sworn that I restored to a Windows box before, but maybe I am losing it :)

Thanks again.
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back