Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyadayada

Technical User
Jan 24, 2011
GB
I'm completely new to Illustrator so might be asking something obvious:

I've drawn an object for a logo which is made up of a couple of joined paths and fill and stroke of the same colour.

I originally took this logo into photoshop and applied layer styles including inner shadow but was told i could apply the sanme effects in Illustrator.

Originally i was working in AI CS3 and when i went to go through the Effects>Stylize menu the only option i had was glowing edges, I asked the friend who told me to finish my work in AI rather than PS why this was and was told i needed CS4 or CS5, i borrowed a laptop with CS5 on and the same was the case, in the menu's, under Effect>Stylize i still only have the option for glowing edges.

As I'm a total newbie is this something i'm doing wrong, like not selecting the object or not adding a new layer to apply the effect to? Although my understanding is is that if this were the case, the other options under Stylize would be visible but just greyed out and unselectable?

Please help, i can finish this design off in photoshop but the image is circular so if i can do it in illustrator and keep the quality and have it scaleable it would be much better, and from everything i read is just a much better working practice

thanks

Jason

...Photoshop and illy effects and settings aren't always like for like...

...glowing edges will create a similar inner shadow effect but you need to change the settings in the glowing edges dialog to inner and change the blend mode to something else like multiply, darken or overlay depending on the color used. You can change the color of the modified inner glow by clicking on the default White block bottom of dialog...

...you also don't need cs5 as inner glow has been around for a while...probably since cs1...

andrew

============
============

...also to add to my post above...

...the effect for inner shadows can be done with the inner glow but with modified settings, changing to edge only:

...also be aware that the document raster effects settings relate to transparent effects (found under the effects menu)...for most print based work you need to change this before applying effects from the default 72dpi to anywhere between 260 and 300dpi...also for print work it is advised your document color mode is cmyk rather than rgb (found under the file menu)...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back