Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Device Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyw

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2001
GB
After Rebooting my P Series server the machine is unable to mount my lv disk partitions. I get the following error when I try to mount one of them :-

"0506-324 There is a request to a device or address that does not exist"

The disks appear all to be ok from a hardware perspective.

I believe the problem is linked to device drivers as I recently tried to delete a network card and it's drivers that we do not need. Now after the reboot I notice /usr/adm/dev_pkg.fail exists with the following entries :-

devices.isa_sio.8042
devices.isa_sio.fdc
devices.isa_sio.parallel
devices.isa_sio.serial
devices.pci.00100010
devices.pci.00101010
devices.pci.ethernet
devices.pci.pciclass.010000
devices.pci.pciclass.020000
devices.pci.scsi

I presume the last device driver is causing the problem.

Can anyone advise the best way to resolve the issues or what I should be checking for further information. By the way networking is still functioning fine.

Regards,
Mike.

Looks like instead of just removing the NIC drivers you have removed most of the PCI drivers. If your RS/6000 has PCI bus adapters then that is the problem if its MCA then it shouldn't matter. Have you tried running cfgmgr again to reconfigure the PCI bus? If not then I would give it a try. If you can't mount root then its going to be hard to just put the drivers back. Might try booting to service mode and repairing it from there. Let me know how it turns out.

Best of luck,

Tcorum

If your not sure that all devices-drivers are installed, then reconfigure with cfgmgr.
Put in an AIX-CD1 off your OSlevel (4.3.3.0)
Then run:
cfgmgr -vi /dev/cd0
This installs all missing devices drivers from the AIX-CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back