Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing DC's and attempt to Introduce new 2003 DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtm

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2006
GB
Hello, The situation is a follows: 6 W2k DC's supported by a number of 2003 member servers. Due to flooding 3 DC's were physically damaged and no longer active.

The side effect of the missing servers are Replication errors in Event viewer of the remaining 3 DC's.

I need to introduce a new 2003 DC with a view to replacing all 2000 DC's. I am aware that I need to run the adprep utility for /domain and /forest on the Master but do I need to remove the metadata of the miising servers first using ntdsutil.exe or can I just go ahead and introduce my first 2003 DC.

Kind Regards,
BigTM

I would do the clean up first but you should be fine doing it after the 2k3 server has the FSMO roles and GC.

RoadKi11

Agreed - introducing a new DC into a "damaged" AD is asking for trouble.

If possible, I would do all the clean-up work without the new server, then once everything is stable you can build & add your new box.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back