Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing ctrl key

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Had a thought one morning: Android is basically Linux with a different window manager so it must be possible to get a cmd prompt for it. Had a look around: there was an xterm application. Got it and started it up.

Yesss - just like Unix except that the commands are in /system/bin. Played around a bit then decided to ping the server. Worked, found the server. Popped up the keyboard to stop ping - ping on Unix goes on forever and you have to press ctrl C to stop it. Eek no ctrl key. Had to switch off the machine.

Now I have to get a hackers keyboard which does have a ctrl key before I play with that again. I noticed that not all of the bluetooth keyboards for androids have a ctrl key either. I wonder if the onscreen keyboard for ipads and windows has a ctrl key.

Lesson of the day: make sure you know where the control key is before using ping or use the option to limit the number of calls.

No CTRL key on iPad. And Apple don't allow 3rd party replacement virtual keyboards. Or not without jailbreaking.

I noticed all the wireless keyboards have a control key so if I'm going to try something like that again, best get a bluetooth keyboard.

You can replace the default keyboard on Android. 'hackers keyboard' has all the modifier keys (CTRL, ALT etc) and is free from Google Play

Yes, I saw that but the wife's using it almost permanently so I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back