Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Columns in crosstab query

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmclane

Technical User
Apr 14, 2004
US
I am trying to further automate a bunch of reporting. One of the things I am trying to revise is hand pulling data in Excel into different formats and then importing into Access. I have the main data coming in now straight from the .txt file and some trimming and updating of data. Now I am working on a table I used to build in Excel by hand and then import.

I am creating an intermediate table containing an id field and a field that matches certain criteria related to the end table. I then created a table with the seven items containing the code, cost and the label. Now I build the crosstab so I can use it to duplicate the table I was creating by hand.

My problem is that the crosstab drops columns if there is no data and I need the table to contain these fields even if they are empty.

Code:
TRANSFORM Sum(POSCost.Cost) AS SumOfCost
SELECT POSTEMP.[Merchant Number]
FROM POSCost INNER JOIN POSTEMP ON POSCost.Material = POSTEMP.Material
GROUP BY POSTEMP.[Merchant Number]
PIVOT POSCost.Label;

I have seven labels defined, 2 of which are never used and one that gets used rarely. Is there a way to force the crosstab to add the columns that don't show without having to add/remove them manually? Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks, Ken.

- If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
Mitch Hedburg

You can enter all the possible column headings in the Column Headings property of the crosstab query.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Thanks, I just figured that out. My brain is getting rusty.

- If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
Mitch Hedburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back