Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Columns Excel -> Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

earljgray

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
Crystal Reports 2008
Excel 2010
xlsx Spreadsheet
>400 columns
65 rows

There's the specs - the question is this....
Changing datasource from SQL Stored Proc to a vendor-supplied worksheet.
The connection to the Excel SS is fine; when the mapping window comes up, however, not all the Excel columns are available for mapoping back to the Stored Proc. On examination, it appears that Crystal is not 'seeing' or connecting to the 255+ columns.

Is this a limit in CR 2008 (or beyond)
Columns in the 1-255 range in Excel are popping up in the mapping window.

Any ideas or suggestions as to crawling around this (it seems to me) CR limit?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Crystal Reports Design/training/Consultation
earljgray@gmail.com

Hi,

I've been an Excel enthusiast, but 400+ columns? Outrageous!

Chances are highly probable that the sheet/table is not normalized, in which case this data will be extremely difficult to work in CR as a table.

If it were me, I'd normalized the the data or find the source that the Excel file used to create this sheet if at all possible. THEN I'd import to CR.

Well there are come SAP tables that have 100+ columns.

Thanks for the comment!Q

Unfortunately, the sheet comes from a third-party and 'is what we have to work with'...
I was hoping there was no intrinsic column limits set in Crystal - but it appears it will chop off anything after 255 columns.....

earljgray@gmail.com

Part of the issue is that Crystal exports to Excel 2003 format which does have a limit. The only way around this is to export as csv.

Thanks!

Trying this out now....

earljgray@gmail.com

I'm not absolutely certain, but if you upgrade to Crystal 2013, which has .xlsx export, you may get better results with reading the extra columns.

There is a 30-day trial version of Crystal 2013 that's available on from SAP, so you could test it.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Thank you!!

earljgray@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back