Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

missing CD-ROM and CD-RW drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjones

Technical User
Apr 7, 2001
US
Hello--

I just realized that I am missing 2 drives -- the cd-rom & also the cd-rw drive. Both do not show up under my computer. Nothing has been done to the computer lately other than a winmx install. Back in Dec upgraded from windows me to xp BUT both drives worked after that.

I've been doing lots of reading but just not sure what to do since the troubleshooting sites all discuss a new xp install or a removal of easy cd creator & I have not done either. I found a site that lists cd drivers but not sure what type I have since both drives are the original that came with the computer (gateway). Neither device is listed in the device manager. I've been reading about removing the registry entry but am a little leary of doing something that will screw up everything.

Any suggestions? I'm a novice so please if you can help me get through this I'd appreciate it.
TIA

Christine

Suggestions:

- Check to see if the CD-ROMs are showing on the POST screen when you first turn on the PC (or go into the BIOS and check).
- Best test is to use a Win98 boot disk and boot to a DOS prompt with CD-ROM support. Then you can pop in a CD and see if you can read what's on the CD-ROM using the DIR command. If you don't have a Win98 disk, go to to get a copy. This will tell you if it's a Windows problem or not.

If it works at a DOS prompt, then try this:
- If you have Alcohol 100% installed, remove it
- If you have Easy CD Creator installed, remove it and the registry entries you read about and reboot
- If you have Nero installed, remove it
- Remove any other burning software programs that you can find

Worry about installing those apps again later after you get the drives back.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I have the same issue. My dvd drive does this every once in a while. The last Dell computer also did this with the cd-rom. I can reboot and it reappears. It doesn't happen very often (once or twice a month). Is this a common problem?

tylerdurdan66,
No, shouldn't be a common thing. In your situation, it is likely a software issue in Windows causing the drive to lose contact with Windows (which a reboot obviously fixes for a short while). However, it could also be a power failure issue with your case's power supply or the drive itself.

You would have to do quite a bit of troubleshooting to narrow it down (may not be worth doing):
1. throw in a spare hard drive and clean install Windows
2. do not install any applications and leave the system on for long periods of time to try to reproduce the problem
3. if the problem returns, then you can bet it's probably a hardware issue as mentioned above

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

You can also check Device Manager and see if there are any problems showing up there. If DM shows your drives, try deleting them there and then rebooting your system. Sometimes that will force Windows to reload the drivers and fix the problem.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

tylerdurdan66,
This is why you should create separate threads for each issue, even if similar.[tab][wink]
I can't tell who BaudKarma is giving a suggestion to, but I'm assuming it's you since cjones doesn't have the drives listed in Device Manager.

cjones,
I just noticed the part of your question about cd drivers. Just so you're aware, all optical devices (CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, burners, etc) do not need drivers installed per se. Windows reads the firmware information directly from the drive itself, because it's built in.

~cdogg

Ok, this may work
• first follow cdogg’s instructions
• make sure your cable to the drives are good
• then download Maxtweaks and run and reboot

• Maxtweaks does a lot to things to make your computer more efficient. But one of the best thing it does is unhides the hidden drivers in the device manager.
• Go to device manager then view then click show all devices
• Go to the DVD/CD drives and delete all the drives there
• Reboot
• See if the drives redetect
• If not then try only one drive at a time because you may have a dead drive that locks up the controller for both drives
• Check and see if the secondary controller is enabled in the BIOS
• Hmmm! It’s possible for your secondary controller to be DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back