Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing boot.ini file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
US
I'm running a high end machine with XP - SP2, and noted the following.

When I boot up, there is momentary text screen that flashes by, noting "Invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:\WINNT". But, the machine then boots normally.

I checked the WINNT folder, and the root of C;\ and there is no boot.ini file in there. Somehow, it must have gotten "lost, strayed, or stolen". So I did a search of the full C:\drive, and found two copies in other paths. One was in the Partition Msgic folder created when I got the machine, and the other was in the WinPatrol folder, created a few months ago. It does of course have the RHSA attributes, as it should.

The WinPatrol folder file is -

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

In the Partition Magic folder from several years ago, the same file exists, without last statement "/Execute=OptIn"

Rather than go through a lengthy process of using the recovery console, it would seem that I could just copy the boot.ini file shown above, probably without the "/Execute=OptIn", and put in to its proper place. I assume that place is the root of C:\, is it not. Will this approach solve the problem?

Ron Hirsch

rawhunger,

Boot.ini is at least read only and Hidden. You have referenced the RHSA attributes.

Do you have your view set to display all files? In folder options, view, make sure that hidden, and system files are checked to display. If you had to set this recheck to see if it can be found at the root.

If you already have this set and you are not finding this file at the root then yes you should be able to copy it there.

I assume one of the files has a recent date?? Use the most recent in an attempt to insure that it is from the current XP load.

rvnguy

"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks for the reply. I have things set to show the hidden/system files, and the one in the root of C: is not there - lost strayed or stolen. <G>

I will copy the one that WinPatrol backed up into the root of C:. It is a reasonably new copy.

Ron

Have your tried opening boot.ini in Notepad?

In Notepad, go to the C: drive.

In the File Name text box enter "boot.ini" and then Open.

I can't locate my boot.ini through conventional means, but I can through Notepad.

Stange that you should mention that. I have my file managers set to display hidden/system files. Boot.ini had some backup copies around in other places, placed there by Partition Magic, and Win Patrol software for use in emergencies.

I took a look at the contents along the way - there's not much in the file.

When I copied the latest backup copy of boot.ini into the root of C:, it still does not show there, even though I have set hidden and system files to be displayed. But the error message went away during bootup.

But, as you note, it can be opened in NotePad, as well as NoteTab. And, if I do a search for files, the copy in the root of C: does show up in the listing, and then can be opened for editing, copying, etc..

It is most strange. I'd guess that MS has a code line somewhere that keeps it hidden, even when things are set to show hidden/system files. But when it's called by name in a text editor, it does obey that call.

I don't remember this happening prior to XP's arrival.

Ron

RBH,

In folder options view....there is the hidden check box and about two under it is another

"Hide system protected files" uncheck this also and you will see files such as "Boot.ini"

Glad your are fixed.

rvnguy

"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I mistakenly assumed that I could control the hidden and system files being viewed via the options in PowerDesk 6, as well as those in Windows Explorer. I rarely if ever use Windows Explorer.

It is interesting to note however, when the hidden/system files are checked to not display, that boot.ini will not show up in a file search for the copy in the root of C:\. But, a copy of that file with the same attributes, but located in a subfolder on C:, will show up in the file search. So it would seem that the Windows file options for hidden and system are not reflected all over - rather strange I would think.

Ron Hirsch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back