Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing attachments for only a few users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaye

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
Here's a new one for me. A user here sent a group email to about 25 people in a distribution list within our office, and attached a Word document. 3 or 4 users got the email but there was no attachment and no notice saying the attachment was stripped.

We use exchange 2000 & Outlook XP. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Do the users each have their own antivirus settings of some sort or some sort of spyware/spam email programs that could be interfering??

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

No, standard corporate antivirus settings, and no special spyware/anti-spyware software running.

Is it possible for the users to install any software on their own that could possibl conflict with email messages or applications? example, Mail Scrubbing programs, etc - basically I would assume they would need access to the server to be able to do such..

Stephen [infinity]

Well, they can install stuff to their machines, but these are not very knowledgeable users, to say the least, so I don't think that's the case.

Well, I just thought that could be a possibility, b/c ya never know... "Hey, Tom, I found this really cool program that works real good for me, you can use it too, if you like!"
"Thanks, Bob, can you send that one to me, or send me the link? I'm not sure if I can install it, though - I might not understand how."
"That's no problem, Tom, just double-click the icon, and accept all the default options on prompts, hit ok or next at each screen, and it'll install with no difficulties."

Or how about this one: "Click here to win your free Dell computer worth $600!" [wink]

or

"What's your favorite screensaver?"

or

"If you'd like to add these smiley faces to your email, just click here!"

[wink] - just some possibilities to consider. I know that I've taken junk like that off of some people's personal computers that they installed unknowingly or without realizing all the program entailed, and it messed up all sorts of things. One spyware program I removed from one machine on a small network actually messed up the IP settings for internet access, and I had to fix it after removing the stinkin' spyware. It was for some sort of free online gaming or something (what it was packaged with, I think).

Stephen [infinity]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back