Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing/additional DLLs using P&D on Windows XP Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcginty

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
AU
Previously I creating a deployment package for my app using a Windows 98 machine. I have now used the P&D wizard to create the package on an XP machine.

The MSDART32.dll file was not included in the package as before. Why is this? What is it used for?

The package now includes WININET.dll Why is this? What is it used for? I don't believe I have any internet connection objects.

Thanks in return

Mike

When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

i am not exactly sure but the p&D must be including platform specific files. i'll see if there's any option to create platform independant executive.

u can do so too!

MSDART32.DLL is included in MDAC, which is an integral part of the OS from W2K onwards, so is no longer needed.

The general rule for packaging for cross-OS installations is to compile and package on the oldest of the platforms to be supported

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

I had this problem with XP. We (my IT team mates & I) think that XP came with some controls and then you installed VB. The controls with VB didn't overwrite the controls that came with XP because they have that date protection but the dep files did overwrite making the dep files older than the controls (out of date error). We add SP5 for VB and it seemed to have solved my dependency file issues.

Thanks for the replies

I am running VB6 SP5 on both machines and have included MDAC 2.7 in the package

Seems to me the safest way is to continue compiling with the 98 machine however I could add MSDART32.dll manually to the XP package. The advantage of using the XP machine is that it is much faster compiling.

Still not sure how the Wininet.dll became involved?

Regards

Mike

When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back