Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miscrosoft ODBC for Oracle - With 10g

Status
Not open for further replies.

islamzafar

Technical User
Jul 5, 2007
US
Hi,

I am working on for a 8i to 10g Upgrade Project for a client. Currently they are using 8i Client for connecting their desktop applications (mostly built in VB 6.0).

Now we work migrating their Oracle DB Servers and Client from 8i to 10g. Along with this, we are also migrating their VB6.0 application to a .NET based application (using ASP.NET).

As currently they are using Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle, should we stick to that driver after even this migration? Will it work or not?
If it will still work, will there be any Oracle 10g Features that we will be unable to use using this Microsoft ODBC Driver?

OR Should we migrate to some other data connectivity source, ODP.NET, ADO.NET.. Any suggestions, experience or reference links would highly appreciated.

On more question, Microsoft ODBC driver support 64bit or not?

Best Regards
Muhammad Islam Zafar

islamzafar,
The client computer needs Microsoft oracle odbc driver to run Microsoft applications interface (such as access), however excel uses MSQuery which needs the Oracle odbc driver. You can set both up pointing at the same database.
tav.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back