Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirroring on Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmono

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2004
IE
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the correct way to recover from a fialed or missing disk in software raid 1, the 2nd partition on the 1st drive couldn't be accessed, so I had to remove the mirror in order to access the 2nd partition where all the data was stored - except after this a lot of the data was nearly a year old and I had to restore some files from backup. Is there a reason for this? Also shares were no longer shared??

Does anyone have any suggestions?

This sounds confusing?

If it was a true mirror it should be an exact copy of your main disk? If there are old files it can't have been a mirror or you had only mirrored the boot partition?

With Windows software raid 1, create the mirror, let it synch up. Then break the mirror, copy the files in the root of the "primary" (boot files) drive to the "secondary" (technically there are no primary and secondary, as I designate, primary is the drive you booted from before the mirror), this will allow you to boot from the secondary disk. Reinstate the mirror. All else fails, all you have to do is move the cable connector from the primary to secondary and reboot
No clue about the data loss.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

If you have been successful to get your system back running, I will personally advise you to use hardware mirroring instead of software.
Some Asus motherboards have good raid controllers.Try and you will stay away from your problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back