Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirroring existing harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

spddmon

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hello.
I have an IBM x225 box running a fully configured and functional SCO 5.0.6, this server has, I believe a RAID 1 capable SCSI controller. I would like to add another hardrive to mirror the existing drive. Is it safe to assume that by pluging the new drive to the scsi controller and configure the mirror, there won't be any loss of data or configurations?
Also will I need to tell the OS about the new dive?
Thank you!

Provided the kernel is linked with the proper driver you have nothing to tell it.
Anyway have a good VERIFIED backup before trying anything...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I have not had direct experience with the ibm controllers but generally you have to set up the mirror volumes first before putting any data on the drive and the act of setting up the mirror destroys anything currently on the disk. my suggestion would be to add 2 drives to the controller and set them up as the mirrored pair, then dd the first drive onto the pair after booting from a boot and root diskette then remove the original drive.

NOTE: this assumes a HARDWARE raid set up not a software raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back