Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mirroring drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw1234

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
GB
Hi there,

I have recently lost my O/S (XP Pro) due to a hard drive failure! Would it been possible to retrive the situation if I had mirrored the boot drive onto another disk, allowing me to contine using the O/S until the disk was replaced?

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Yes. You can do this in software, but it is best done by using a good hardware RAID controller. If you do this in software, you get an I/O performance hit because of the need to write the same data twice. If you have a decent hardware controller, it will be able to write to one disk whilst reading from the second disks, caching the second write until the second disk is free for a write.

Also, with software RAID, if the 'wrong' disk fails, you have to reboot the system to recover. With a good hardware RAID controller, the system will continue to run seemlessly when a disk fails.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back