Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirrored Partition Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkelly

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
I just upgraded the hardware on our NW3.12 server. I mirrored the two drives by creating a NW partition of the same size on HDD 2 and inserting the drive in the mirror section of install/disk options. The server eventually completed the mirror. Now when I type "mirror status" the server responds with "logical partition #3 is fully synchronized." This is curious since our other two NW servers say "logical partition #1 is fully synchronized" after typing "mirror status." Further, the drives on all three servers are displayed identically in install/disk options/partition mirroring status:

IN SYNC - NETWARE PARTITION # 1 ON DEVICE #1
IN SYNC - NETWARE PARTITION # 3 ON DEVICE #0

Why did my new server mirror partition #3 while the other two servers mirrored partition #1? Am I really mirrored?

I rebooted the server and now the Mirror Status says "logical partition #1 is fully synchronized." If I had to guess, it is because the second drive I installed was empty. (boot partition, NW partition, no volumes). When partition 3 sync'd to partition 1, the server reported as such. Now that they are both synchronized, Partition 1 takes precedent when reporting mirror status.

Remember, you're using software RAID, not hardware. Make sure you've got a good bootdisk in case of failure.

Iolair MacWalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back