Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirror status and remirroe question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarson

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
US
I am fairly new to the Novell world and my company took on a client that is running Netware SBE 5.1 with SP6 (I just loaded it) Groupwise 5.5 with the latest support pack (I just loaded it) and a backup that doesn't work (DAT drive bad, getting new AIT). When I was looking at the server I noticed that the drives are not mirrored and when I do a mirror status command from console and one drive says "not mirrored" and the other drive says its in an "orphaned state".

I have searched Novell's KB and scomed the internet but am unable to find anything on how to resolve this issue. I've read articles about re-mirroring drives but none actually walk you through it step by step.

Would anyone have a document that maybe I missed or know the steps to help me out?

Any information is very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Haven't done it in a while but at the console type NWCONFIG, under standard disk options you will find the mirror command. If you have installed the service packs and groupwise you will probably be able to navigate through the options. If one is in an orphaned state it should give you the options to create the set. When I go to mine it gives the status of mirrored with no options to choose from. Not much help I know but maybe it will get you going in the right direction.

Thanks for the info... much appreciated

anything I need to watch as far as doing something that would delete all the data on the sys vol?

It's been so long I can't remember but I would definitely be cautious but there should be reference for it, let me check one of my Que books and I will try to post tonight, it may have steps.

I would also wait until I get a good full backup before proceeding.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Jontmke has a good point, usually mandatory when messing with this so after backing up here are some general steps to mirroring.

Load Nwconfig, select standard disk options, then choose mirror/unmirror Disk partitions and press enter.
Highlight the partition you want to mirror (Source) and press enter.
Your source partition should appear by itself, then press the insert key and you should see a list of available partitions that can be selected as the source or target of the mirror. This is the destination partition. This should start the mirroring process

Before doing this I would also check the following novell TIDS
TID2913687
TID2927231
Sounds like something happened for the mirrors to be out of sync and maybe breaking the mirror or manually mirroring may fix the problem. Hope this helps.

Excellent!! Thanks, this will help me greatly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back