Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirror on DL360

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljg

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have a DL360 server running Windows2003 Server. 2 36GB drives are configured as a mirror. One drive has failed.

I have a 36GB drive on-hand but we will assume it has data on it from another server configuration.

What is my step-by-step procedure to replace this device without destroying any of the data on the good drive? I will want to re-create the mirror with the 2 good drives.

Thanks,
LJG

Never mind - I simply replaced the drive and the array began the rebuild on its own. I did not have to do a system erase on the "new" drive. Seems ok - thanks!

Yes with hardware RAID, it is as simple as that. If there is any config and data on the replacement disk, it gets wiped in favour of the server config and data. As long as the failed drive and the replacement drive are the same type (speed and size), there should be no issues. You can use a larger size replacement disk (of the same speed and SCSI type) but you will only be able to utilise the diskspace size of the smaller disk.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back