Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mininum Opentext Content Server 10.0/ AS 10.5 system requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

John1112

Technical User
Dec 17, 2009
CA

What is the minimum requirement(system requirement) for Content Server 10.0 and AS 10.5. We are installing on a development machine and just wanted to confirm the minimum OS / Hardware requirements. We are not planning to put many documents, its just the demo environment.

In the installation document of AS and Livelink aka CS there is a section that lists out minimum requirements. Nowadays it may appear in release notes as well. It is just like sizing a database server the more transactions it would have the more beefy your hardware set.

For AS at least 4 GB Ram if you have a remote database otherwise add RAM and a decent Cpu.AS requires very high I/O so invest in that. Nowadays VM's are preferred.

For CS build a user FEndnd 4 GB Ram and good CPU
Build a CS server again and run Admin server there
A single partition will take about2.6 GB memory and will hold millions of
Objects if you can go upto 6 GB good Admin Setver like AS will require high I/o

Resist the temptation to cram the 3 basic elements into one server even for dev as one it will teach you how to scale and further more it will teach you how to
Do maintenance on your system

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Thanks for your quick response, in summary 16GB RAM and good CPU will be capable of running CS with Admin server and AS all in one host.

Please advise if the below settings are is sufficient enough
CS - 6 GIG RAM , decent CPU - only one instance that will run indexing as well ( one partition). AS - 6 GIG RAM -and a decent CPU.

For demonstration I think this is enough I wouldn't put this on a client site without understanding g their profiles

Thanks for the quick response can I go with the following specs – this is just for a demonstration purposes

CS 10.0 , AS 10.5 including OTDS using Oracle as the DB - all on a demo laptop specs: ( 2 core processor @ 2.20 GHz, 1 TB hard drive, 16 GIG RAM ) This is this good enough? I just don’t want to spend a lot of time and run into issues. Need your help and advise her

Thanks

For new people entering into OpenText components such as what you are proposing,I tried to give you sound advise by splitting each server component into its own box.However please understand that these are enterprise server components that OT does not like bundling into a single piece especially if they start to fight hard for server resources,port conflicts what not.All technical things can be fixed for the right resource. Having said that I run Livelink & Archive Server on one box,my dev VM .I am not looking for speed nor is this a demonstration box so I let it run. OTDS recently came out and is a simple lightweight java app that can be deployed into the AS Tomcat instance itself I hope. Why don't you build a VM and look at the performance?If it does not bring up the logins of the different pieces you can put logging on and start increasing VM specs.

Thanks for your quick response again. I am not looking for a speed, this is purely for internal demo. I Will take your advise and will load two VMs on the laptop (with the above specs) and install one VM on CS and other AS. May just need to increase the RAM. Any suggestion? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back