Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mining Rig Question/Suggestion 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlvic

MIS
Jun 15, 2017
AE
Hello Everyone,

My company have ethereum rig for mining
using 4 Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB but the we didn't see any profit yet this rig is 2days old.

Then I little bit interested on this mining. I have my personal rig for graphic designing and video editing using 1080 GTX.Since I usually at work I'm thinking of mining to my personal rig when I'm at work. If I try to do some mining to my personal rig for testing this worth it to test a profit?. Or my rig can get atleast little profit?

Thanks!

After 2 days with only a single machine mining Ethereum, on 4 GPUs is not going to yield you any Ethereum. (Unless you're mining as a surrogate to a mining syndicate, in which case you might see 4 or 5 cents...) Mining is a difficult, costly operation, and those with single device on coins that have reached into the hundreds or thousands of dollars per coin will take months to mine out new ones. The "reason" to keep mining is predicated on the expectation that the crypto currency value will continue to climb. If it doesn't, then the cost will outway the return. If you want Ethereum or Bitcoin now, the best way to get it is to buy it. Otherwise, find a new crypto that needs processing power, and mine the heck out of that. Personally, I would recommend shifting away from GPU and to FPGA or ASIC chips for mining, where the performance is astronomically higher (ASIC is Application Specific Integrated Circuit), and they are awesome because they are tuned to the mining application (though more technically difficult, because you need development staff that know how to do this).
The other mining software and operations that you just download and run, are really more like pyramid schemes, where you're getting paid (peanuts) to mine for someone else...
Good luck.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

You mean there's no free money tree after all?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Didn't say that... but Ethereum and Bitcoin are not it.

Best Regards,
Scott

OK, I'm curious. Where's the money tree? [bigglasses]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Sarcasm?? You know about mining for crypto currency with "computers" powered by multiple video cards as the processing engine.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I was referring to Scott24x7's comment.
Didn't say that... but Ethereum and Bitcoin are not it.
Implying he is saying there is one.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Didn't realize that was your reference.
If you want to take advantage of crypto currencies, you have 3 avenues, depending on the currency:
1) Mine it - this works best in the early stages of a coin offering, but also has risks, but get them early and cheap and its worth doing
2) Some currencies aren't mined. Instead you get a fee for processing or storage of transactions and data. Less lucrative, less risk.
3) Buy it. For the currencies exceeding $100 this is almost always your best bet. If you want some, just buy them and wait until the go up in value... also risky, but that's the point. None of this has a history or track record.

If you're looking to me to tell you what to mine/process/buy, you're barking up the wrong tree. 1) Do your own homework. 2) This is a HARDWARE FORUM, not a crypto currency forum.

Best Regards,
Scott

Oh, I didn't know you were saying that one of the various cryptocurrencies was a money tree, just that you hinted there was a money tree of some sort. I have read a LITTLE about the stuff, but it just hasn't sunk in for me. I don't get what value someone gets out of the "miner" to make it worth enough to them to pay someone to get funds. Yeah, it's a hardware forum. I've suggested in no way to go off into the weeds, just that I was curious if anyone to suggest there is such as a "money tree". [wink]

I'm think it's not worth it to having a rig.
Or I do it wrong. Now I'm planning to sell my rig in past 2 months I generated 2 eth coins and have 28-29mh/s on each 16gpu.

Maybe I have lack of knowledge before doing this rig. I didn't maintain it properly I store my rig on a our meeting room and no specific AC. I just use the centralized AC for this and my place is in GCC country..

Actually I want to put AC for my rig but I have some issues on the building you know leak from the AC.
I also have server room but a very small one and the cooling is set as good as is to avoid leaking from the building.
Rig produce very high temp. If I put it on my server room for sure i need to increase my AC.

I'm planning to place my rig to other place and pay the bill for the electricity or I will sell the rig.
I don't know what is the best option for now.

Why do you think that you need lower temperatures? Is it failing while running?
What is the inlet temperature (ambient temperature around the face) versus the output temperature (the temp at the back of the machine)?
Use any thermometer to check these... if it's a standard alcohol or mercury thermometer, just leave it for about 10 minutes in one position 1" from the front/back of the device.

Best Regards,
Scott

A home rig trying to mine is not going to make enough to even pay back the hardware and electrical costs. In upstate NY with it's cheap hydro power and cooler temperatures their are mining companies that are using megawatts of power to run their rigs (enough for 100,000 homes) and they are thinking about getting out of the business because it doesn't pay as will as it did before.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Depends on what currency you're mining... that statement is true of Bitcoin, but Bitcoin is no longer the only crypto in the pond.

Best Regards,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back