Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum spec for iphone app development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyByfleet

Technical User
Feb 24, 2003
GB
I am tipping my toes into iphone application development. I see that I need a machine running Leopard 10.5.7 in order to run the sdk, my question is this: would a G4 Mac with 1G Ram and 1.2Mhz processor be sufficient to run the SDK and the iphone simulator, or would it be a dog?

My second question is this, if I can get a G4 with Leopard 10.5.2, can I use Apple Update to update it to 10.5.7 or will I need to buy a newer version of the OS?

Thanks for any help.

The iPhone SDK only supports newer Intel Macs, so no G4 will work with it correctly. There are reports of it being made to work (supposedly the binaries are universal, but the installer is not).

Also, from my reading, 2G of ram is much much better than less than 2G of ram for the iphone SDK.

not that it matters now, but if you have a major point release (10.5.x) you can download the updates free from apple (the minor point releases 10.5.2, 10.5.7, 10.5.xx) but would need to make a purchase to upgrade to 10.6

SunnyByfleet,

If you have any cash on hand, then the deals I linked to from this thread: thread603-1579613
may well be worth your while - I'd at least look when it officially comes available for viewing.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back