Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum files to run WinXP Home or Pro 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynindesign

Technical User
Sep 19, 2003
US
I have quite a few clients and friends that have the SLOWEST system running WinXP. When I look to see what files are running in the background, there are a bunch, and most often, multiple instances of the same file is running.

In Win98, I know you really only need 2 files to run Windows, systray & explorer, so what are the minimum files needed to run XP. I've asked several IT people and they don't know. All I can say, if I had to wait for these XP systems to reboot, I'd throw them out the window. So I know they have a lot of garbage running that's not needed. I sure would appreciate some insite on this, thanks, Cyn

A Description of Svchost.exe (Q314056)

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Thank you all so much, I'll forward & save this info, Cyn

See 'End It All 2' (freeware), "(This handy-dandy tool quickly and easily closes all or selected running programs with a single click (except Explorer, Systray & any others you've "protected" - like your Firewall & AV Software this)" -this short from website listed below. End It All's default selection of files will probably do what you want. However, it is fully configurable too and you can pick and choose which files to keep or have this program shut down for you... It is also great when you have a hog program that wants all the cpu's horsepower... (like editing video). It's indirect, but you can get End It All 2 from:
It is a powerful program... pay attention to their initial 'warning' window... See: Help, About for author and source.

A real 'must have' progam... Regards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back