Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum Cat 5x patch cord length?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchet

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
Trying to find the [COLOR=green"]MINIMUM[/color] length for a cat5x patch cable. I know the max length is 328 feet from hub to node.

I have tried other forums but it seems like all I get are guesses for answers. I sure would like a reply with facts (references). I've seen them sold as short as 6 inches but at what cost to the system (ambiant noise, cross-talk)? I am using 24" cables with solid cat5e now.

Come on "Tek-Tips". Now is the time to show up the other forums!

Thanks

There can't be a minimum length. The shorter a conductor is the more effectively it conducts. Signal loss, resistance, inductance, and interference increase only with length. These are fundamental principles of electricity and they apply equally to network cables, coaxes, antenna lines, high-voltage wires, transformer coils, etc. But the cables you are using now are perfectly fine and getting shorter ones with a possible difference of _maybe_ .01 ohms are not going to get you any more speed.

Industry standards for patch cable is based on combined length of the patch cable and the work area outlet cable. There is a variation based on stranded or solid conductors.
It is generally recommened that you should not use a patch cable under one meter. While it is true the shorter the cable the lower the resistance and electrical properties do not change. There is another factor which should be considered and that is induction. In a short cable the inducted signal on the transmitted pair will cross talk with the receiving pairs creating errors. The higher the operating speed of the network the more this comes into play. While this is a concern, you should look at your overall cabling installation for complience. There are contractors who speciallize in structured cabling and can test your cabling to the CAT5x standards. I would suggest you find one in your local area with a staff RCDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back