Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum Cat-5x cable length?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchet

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
I have been asking around around other forums what is the MINIMUM cable length for a cat-5x patch cable but all I have been getting is guesses and hearing experiences of how some users tried as small as 6" with little or no problem. I know the maximum length from hub to node is 328 feet but I have had no luck finding any reference on the minimum length. I want to avoid adding ambient noise, cross-talk, or transfer-rate speed reduction on my net.

Now is the time for the "Tek-Tips" members to show up the other forums by coming up with an answer. Please supply a reference with your answer.

I am curently using 24" cat-5e solid wire patch cords.

I will post the reference if I find it somewhere else.

Thanks in advance

There is no minimum length for a patch cord. The TIA/EIA 568-A standard does not even specify mimimum length for for an overall UTP segment (Patch to structutal wiring to patch).

In 100BT networks however, there is an effect known as "short link phenomenon". that can occur in links under 20 meters because the first 20-30 meters is where most crosstalk happens. Essentially, in a short link, crosstalk signals can return to the transmitter and the transmitter might then mis-interpret these as collisions. The recommended fix is to lengthen the link with longer patch cables. Remember this applies to the whole link though, not just a patch cable.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Master Racker is corect. I have never seen a minimum length. I have really never worried about it. I have set up hubs with (just like others have probebly stated) 6" crossover cables with no issues. Crosstalk could become an issue with lots of cables in a communication room. I have yet to run into that type of problem with a few PC's using short cables. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Just for the record, I bought a new IBM switch and they supplied a cute 7" cat5 to connect it to a second unit.

MikeS Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back