Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum ADSL Speeds for VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettubby

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2003
US
Hello. I've set up a VPN connection for a client using a Netgear FVS318 VPN Router as an endpoint. The clients are connecting to the enpoint via SoftRemote Client VPN software. The router is connected to a Verizon ADSL (1.5mps/128k). Making the VPN connection is very fast and there is no problem browsing the shared folders on the server however when we try to do any work such as edit, save, or list folders that contain a large amount of files (3,000 or so), the VPN locks up and is unusable. Bottom line to my question is; is the upload of the ADSL too slow for VPN work? The client is connecting using a cable connection with a 1.5mps/384k.

Thanks,

Todd

I've had similar issues with VPN over DSL and I think it's a matter of upload bandwidth and the provider network traffic. I had a remote office I VPNed in to my main office and used a 768/768 line which worked well with large file transfers and client-server apps. Anything less than 768 on the upload was insufficient. You might also want to verify bandwidth over the course of a day by using a bandwidth tester list toast.net to see what the actual bandwidth is, as opposed to the sometimes blatant lies they sell you. I've seen bandwidth for sustained periods of time less than half of what I was sold. I use Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back