Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimized programs are not displaying on Taskbar 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMK

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
This just started happening on my Windows 98 machine: When I minimize a program it will not show up on the taskbar. Alt-tab will show that the program is open. When I re-open a program in a smaller window so that some of the desktop is visible, clicking on the desktop will then close the program. Has an operating system file been corrupted? Fixes? Thanks.

BMK, have you figured this out yet, My machine has just started this. If I find an answr I'll let you know.

I have this problem as well!
Anyone know how to fix it?
OS is WinME.
Thanks in advance!

Hello, BMK and all.

For the completion of info, does it happen as in general or for some specific program, if so what program(s)?

regards - tsuji

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I am having the same trouble...

Thanks in advance.

D

Here is a post by another member that may help.

Accessdabbler (TechnicalUser) Nov 4, 2002
Do they disappear ONLY after he minimizes the applications?

If so, he has a common virus. Go to Add/Remove Programs and look for the "WinSrv Reg" entry. Remove/uninstall it and everything will be back to normal.

There have been numerous posts about this site. You can read about this virus at Look for "WinSrv Reg" references.

James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP, Network+

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

My taskbar wasn't showing ANY running tasks, minimized OR currently open and running. I took the WinSrv advice from butchrecon and that cleared up the problem.

A couple of notes though:

First I terminated the following tasks in the "Close Program" window:

Otms
-and-
Winsrvc

Once Winsrvc was terminated the computer was back to "normal". Then I did the add/delete programs thing and it cleared up everything - even the registry file!

Further information can be found on the following link:

Thanks again for the Help!

Scott

GOT it TOO!

it's a gosh darn Virus!
W32.Freindgreet.worm

for the PC I checked, at also had the nasty Cydor! so I suggest that you download Add Aware to see if this worm have installed anything else.

Hey, make your did for today!
help a Newbie! (That's me :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back