Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

minimal php install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazilian

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
I'm trying to come up with a configuration option line (you know, the ./configure --options), that has the minimal components installed that I need. I only need sockets, logging (minimal of this as well), and server-side scripting. I don't need support for GUI apps or command-line scripting. Been through the php manual about this and entered ./configure --help, just need a little assistance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

oh, almost forgot, and i don't need database support. thanks.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

I'm not sure what you mean by not needing support for GUI apps -- if you're outputting HTML, you're writing a GUI app.

If you are compiling PHP from source on a unix-like OS, chances are that the compile system will provide the command-line interpreter, too, as a separate program.

What sockets are you talking about? The socket functions from section 102 of the function reference? If so, those functions are experimental at this time.

I don't know what you mean by needing logging.

The absolute minimal install would probably be initiated by issuing:

./configure

but without knowing whether or what web server you want to run PHP with, it's hard to advise further.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

yeah, i can understand your confusion with this. let me try to explain it better. my platform is on linux with apache 2. lets just forget about logging and sockets, i think i have that well in hand. what i meant with the GUI i guess was just that, the command line interpreter. do i need that to interpret the HTML pages? or does the php module for apache take care of this? i guess i could just delete it after the install too. and what about PEAR, can i leave this out as well? i know this may seem rather dumb, but the platform this will be on is very small in data storage. thanks.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

You will probably have to just delete the standalone interpreter after compile. You don't need it if you're installing PHP as an Apache module.

--without-pear will install PHP without the PEAR classes.

You will need --with-apxs.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back