Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mini071206-01.dmp? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger123

Programmer
Apr 16, 2006
GB
Hi,

A few times, found my Windows XP became very slow when visited webpages, I restarted it and it scaned my hard disk and got error. Today, the report said the error are in
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071206-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\.....\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

Do you know what happend and what I can do?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,
Read the XML file to see what happened:
From another forum:

Code:
They can be read using notepad and a browser. Navigate to the location indicated

C:\windows\minidump\
C:\docume~1\guardi~1\temp\wer1.tmp.dir00\

the "xml" document is a dump of your system config (opens in a internet browser) Be warned this file is normall very in depth and reveals all inclusive of all software and cd keys in plain text!!!!!!!!.
the "dmp" file is readablle by human if you can get past the machine code, there is is human lanuage in there also often just enough to use for fault checking. Use open with choose notepad.

Normally as already stated it is RAM related, faulty ram or poorly written code ie a process try to bully another process out of memory location within RAM yes it still happens. 

thats what all those x's, 0's and other characters are its a hex' address to a memory location in RAM

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thank you for all your suggestions and I am going to try to read the file: though it seems too difficult for me :(

Do you think it is too hot?

Slow browsing can be caused by many things, it might pay you to run Disk Cleanup and clean out your Temporary Internet Files and other Temp files. Follow that up by running Disk Defragmenter.

Have a look in your Event Viewer for an overall picture of the health of your computer.

Then check for any malware which might be causing you problems.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido"

Windows Defender

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Thank you.
More information:
When restart, the hard disk was scaned and it said the errors are fit.
After restart, browsing became OK.
I opened the dmp file by notepad and got lost (as expected).

Glad to hear that your errors are fit and healthy, there is nothing worse than having unhealthy errors.

I wouldn't worry too much about one single error report, we all get those sporadically, just keep and eye on your machine and see how it goes. If the error, or errors, become a regular event then that is the time to be concerned.

bcastner, linney,

While you're on this topic ...

The last time I got an error like this on my XP machine I could not locate the sysdata.xml file, nor even the folder that the error report said it was in. I followed the path down to the ..\temp\ folder, but there was no \wer1.tmp.dir00\ folder within it. (Yes, I had set folder options to show me everything.)

This is not the first time this has happened to me. It happened on another system, too.

Any ideas?

--torandson

wer1.tmp.dir00, with its double file extension may have upset some of your security programs and maybe caused some type of action to be performed on the location?

Do you run scripts that delete Temp files?

Have you got error reporting turned off? Did you decline the invitation to send any report to Microsoft? Maybe the last two actions cause the files not to be created.

It might also be a catch 22 type of thing where a machine that is producing errors, is in an unreliable state, and as such anything might or might not be created?

If you want the highly technical cause of a crash look in the Documents and Settings/ All Users/ Application Data/ Microsoft/ Dr Watson/ Drwtsn32.log

Find the entry that is relevant by date and time to the crash you are investigating. The exact cause of the crash is indicated by "FAULT ->" on the left of page next to line of code causing crash. This, if your as cluey as me, wont tell you much but you can use it to see if it is the same fault all the time, and further up the log you can find what processes and modules are running.

linney,
I have error reporting turned off. Not sure if I did this before or after I got this error, though, but the BSOD did generate the minidump.

This was recommended for my DAWs to speed them up, but this is my office machine. Perhaps I should turn the error reporting back on.

--torandson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back