Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mini-gibc connections 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenage

MIS
Jun 7, 2002
GB
Greetings. I did consider putting this in a more computer-oriented forum, but it really is more to do with the cables and connectors and I know that there are some very knowledgeable people here.

We currently operate a common 10/100 network across two buildings, with a multi-mode fibre link. The two switches (although irrelevant) are an HP procurve 4104gl and 2512. Both have SX fibre transceivers.

With a new phone system being installed in the future, we will require PoE switches. Having looked at the new proposed switches, they do not have slots for fibre transceivers as I have used before; what the new switches do have are mini-gbic slots. Now having not used gbic slots before, I've done some reading and 'think' I have a grasp of their workings. I'd quite like to check here to ensure I am on the right track.

Can we take the existing multi-mode fibre ends and connect them to mini-gbic connectors, then plug those straight into the switches? Will the terminations on the fibre be the same as those required to plug it into the mini-gbic connector?

Sorry for what is probably a very basic question, but I've had very little experience with fibre and none with mini-gbic connectors. Most of my google searches return products!

Russell.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I have a couple of HP2650's connected together using the Fiber ports using the mini-GBICS . You should be able to plug right into the GBICs (as long as you buy the correct GBIC) but in my case we went to a patch panel first then a Fiber patch cord to the GBIC (I'd rather damage a Fiber patch cord rather then the main Fiber). We are running Gigabit over the backbone (183 ft multimode fiber) without any issues.

Norm

You should not have any problem switching over to the GBIC modules, as long as the connectors are compatible.

Don't forget proper maintenance on the connectors, unless you have done this before. For best transmission keeping the fiber connections clean is very important.(no place for dirt)

....JIM....

That's excellent news, thank you both for putting my mind at rest.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

The "mini-gbics" connector is actually called an LC connector. Thus when you purchase your fiber cables you can purchase the proper cables.

Just to let you know, everything went smoothly, so thank you for your help.

Russell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back