Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mini Crashes in Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleykatzchic

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
US
Ever since I put in an upgraded Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz chip and new memory .. i occasionally get mini-crashes .. blue screen stating the latest ...

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

I can't do a Cntrl+Alt+Delete ... i have to hard boot the computer ..

After searching Google Newsgroups, it mentioned that i'm having driver problems.

What should I do? Microsoft recommended finding all the unsigned drivers and remove them from the registry. This seems like a lot of work because when i searched for all the unsigned drivers, there's quite a few. Is there a way to remove all the drivers and then let XP refind them and HOPE that this fixes the problem?? I really hate to reformat and reinstall XP. I didn't have any of the problems prior to installing the new CPU and memory.

Thanks!

These mini-crashes are what most people call the "Blue Screen of Death" or BSOD. It can be caused by almost anything. Since you have only upgraded your processor and memory, 90% chance it is bad RAM.

-Growing Haze

This RAM was purchased brand new .... could they REALLY be bad???

Before anything else, make sure you seated that cpu/ram right, if it gets hot, all kinds of errors can pop up.......some that make no sense at all....heat makes a pc insane...

Do this, works for me a lot.....first, remove the unsigned drivers, all of them. Then, use a really good(and safe) registry cleaner, I suggest system mechanic 3.....run it twice.
Then reboot, go into your BIOS, RESET CONFIGURATION DATA then let windows try to install the drivers, if you have any devices that will not install automatically, run windowsupdate first, to see if any are updated/available.
If not, go to the manufacturers respective sites and look for signed drivers...(they usually have 'em)
THERE IS NO REASON TO RE-INSTALL XP.
I see this problem ALL THE TIME with Dells right out of the box.

The CPU and RAM are set right ... I put them in back in March and everything is fine ... this probably occasionally happens when i multitask, i.e., instant messenger, internet explorer, and sometimes Outlook runing, all with the addition of another monitor (via PCI). My main monitor is NVIDIA (AGP). I'll try the driver thing first. I have Norton System Works and i think there's a registry cleaner within it. YOu mentioned resetting the BIOS .. what do you mean by this? I've updated the BIOS prior to installing the updated CPU/RAM with the latest version for this motherboard.

alleykatzchic, have you tested your RAM with memory tester program like the memtest86? You can get it here. A year ago, I ordered a Kingston HyperX 512MB memory from a friend who went to the states. It is brand new from Newegg, sealed. I installed it, tested it with memtest86 program and I got errors on test number 6 and 7. I was thinking of returning it but how. I am on the other side of the globe (Middle East). Anyhow, I had frequent BSOD with different messages including the message that you got. Just recently, I decided to buy a generic memory stick (iMAX is the brand) and wack it in. Test shows no errors and I never had any BSOD again. Try it buddy. The program is free.

Heres a little trick everybody should know......BARTPE, look it up on google or something, you can create an ntfs compatible boot disk and run apps from it like adaware, the complete virus scan package from mcafee, stinger, chkdsk, have network connectivity, etc.....map drives, recover data to the mapped drive, the possibilitys are endless.(USB SUPPORT INCLUDED)...some of the BSOD issues, as described here, can be one little error on the hard drive, not recognized by the os for some reason, like the other day I had an error on the drive where the temp internet cache was stored for another users profile and couldnt log on, couldnt boot to safe, last known, anything, then booted to the disk, ran chkdsk /f /r, rebooted, service packed it, and its a-ok.....
(XP PRO), seems like this could be an extremely cool tool.....scanning ntfs volumes with a virus cleaner is one of the best things, but Im sure you folks will find tons of uses....I have one cd with EVERYTHING I use to repair on it, and its a god-send.....Easy Recovery, System Mechanic, Adaware, etc.....I even run dameware mini remote from it....
Let everybody know how YOU use it, if you do, and SHARE PLUGINS!!!!

Sounds very much like bad RAM to me. Especially as it happens when you are multi-tasking and therefore using more RAM.

My guess is you have a problem in the higher registers.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I beginning to think that's it .. i have two 256mb DDR RAM (total 512mb) i bought at the same time ... i wonder if i take out one or the other, if the problem stops??

Give it a try. But I suggest that you test it with the memtest I told you. It's easier to test that way rather than booting windows, click here click there and wait for it to happen. The memtest will tell you right away if there's a problem on the stick. I am sure it is a mem stick that is causing your system crashes. Good luck.

i ran the memtest ... it ran for sometime but i'm not too familiar with this program ... everything was fine but do recall seeing failed in one of the test .. but think it was when it repeated .. do you have any instructions for the memtest program? How should i use it?

Testing your memory stick with the Memtest86 takes sometime up to 5 or more hours depending on your system speed. Since you have gone to their website ( you should read the whole page as it tells you some online commands to tailor your testing. But basically, ones you boot from the floppy with the memtest program, it will test your memory stick using the basic test which is from test1 to test7 then loops to test1 again. Mine, I got an error on test6 and 7. Try to check it using the complete test (while in test mode, press c then 2 - for test selection then all test). If you get errors, definitely something wrong with your memory stick. Get a new stick and try it again with the memtest. Good luck.

I'm assuming this will test both sticks of memory .. how will i be able to tell which one is the bad one? Should i pull out one and then run the test? Then switch them and do it again?

Yes you have to do that if you want which stick is faulty. I suggest you stick them both first then test. If you get errors, remove one then test. You should be able to find which one is the culprit. Good luck.

Have you flashed your BIOS? (do that first), all the rest of the resolutions here are pointless if there is an issue with your revision and the hardware involved.(I always assume that is done, for some reason, because its one of my first steps after getting several in that I had to flash for no apparent reason(recognized the cpu as "unknown cpu")
One more thing to try, we jump to the complicated too quickly, in some cases......
Go to your control panel, system, hardware,device manager, remove all instances under "system devices".
Reboot.
Let windows re-discover all devices, reboot again.
You can actually go to intel.com and pick up the latest chipset drivers, if your running an intel chipset, btw, sometimes they clear up out of the ordinary issues.
The problem you have ISNT a hardware issue MOST of the time.......not faulty hardware, anyway, its mostly driver support, or native hardware support, that seems to come up lacking.....try all the software-OS fixes first....I have tested ram and found apparent issues, then found that my board didnt support certain features unless it was updated, then had no errors after a flash.....

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

I flashed the BIOS first thing, before installing the Intel 478 processor .... i will try you're suggestion ... I replaced one of my DDR memory (exchanged) and don't seem to have the problem as frequently (knock on wood) but also have RAM Medic running in the background. I just bought a new Intel motherboard and new case and plan to put this processor on this new board, reformat and reinstall the hard drive and hope for the best ...

Did your problem go away?

I have a similar problem with a Gateway PC. I did not add anything to this computer and it is 8 months old running XP home.

I downloaded memtest. When I run the test it seems to get stuck in test #2. It stays there for ever. I don't see any error though.

Any idea what is happening?

Yes .. this is now a closed issue for me. My problem began when i changed out the CPU chip ... All i had to do was reformat the harddrive and reinstall windows ... anytime you change ANY of the internal hardware, you have to reinstall windows .. that was the only way i solved the problem ...

This "BSOD" was happening to me when I got my *brand new* laptop with Windows XP. THe tech support guy had to get a new wireless card for it, and then it still did the same thing. So I got a replacement *brand new* laptop and it was STILL having "BSOD" frequently. Finally the tech guy did some research and decided that the wireless card/driver was interfering with the other hardware (RAM?) somehow (I am ignorant of this tech lingo), so he uninstalled my Linksys wireless card/drivers and installed a brand new/different Linksys wireless card/drivers and now my system works like a champ, no more blue screens of death!!!!! Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back