Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MINGETTY - Is there a way to turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamrau

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
Hi,
Is there a way to turn off mingetty. The reason i ask is because no one should be able to ssh into the server. The only person who should be using the server is the person who is directly connected and sitting in front of the server.

I have read about mingetty and I think that is what resolves the signon screen. If mingetty is turned off, i assume ssh sessions will not be able to connect because there is nothing that will resolve the signon screen for them.

Can you tell Im a bit confused

THanks
Adam

Hi,

Sounds drastic.. You should be able to restrict logons via PAM - for example using the pam_access module. The way that works is that you edit the /etc/pam.d/sshd, /etc/pam.d/login files, etc., so that they call the pam_access module :

account required /lib/security/pam_access.so

(example for redhat - your pam files may be somewhere different).

Then its down to configuring the pam_access control file : /etc/security/access.conf . The example file should give you the syntax - for example an entry :

-:ALL EXCEPT wheel: ALL

Would disallow logons from anywhere to everyone except members of the wheel group.

See --> .

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back