Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mincom Ellipse 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

verekar

Technical User
Sep 6, 2006
US
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Mincom is coming out with version 7 of its EAM system Ellipse? I know that currently, they are marketing version 6.

How soon is Mincom coming out with version 7?

Thanks,

Verekar

Verekar,
You can safely assume you will not see a full version release for at least 2 years (And if you do it will be a marketing spin rather than useful business functionality). The time and effort it took to get Ellipse 6 out the door with a reasonable base of developer experience and little added business functionality from Ellipse 5 was over 4 years. They have lost much of that experienced developer base and are starting a round of major Defence Development (ie. don't hold your breath).

Regards,
markfr

Mincom have planned version 7 of Ellipse for the first quarter 2008 which should see the results of much of the work from the Defence contact in redeveloping Ellipse into 100% J2EE, however it may not be until release 8 or 9 before this may be a reality (2010) where we will see a release Ellipse without any Cobol components.

I worked on a site implementing Ellipse 6 and the amount of bugs was monumental. The new GUI called Ellipse Desktop was delivered with fundamental design flaws and plenty of bugs. The BO reports MSA mostly produce empty reports. The MSQ have bugs. The good side is that some of the old Cobol code still works, but that also has new bugs.

I guess the lesson from this experience is: don't buy the latest, unles they pay you for ironing out the bugs and doing the test work for them.

Calator,
with the Ellipse 6 work you did, was the HTML client used, and if so, was it as buggy as the new desktop client? what was the turnaround like with respect to the required bug fixes ?

The web interface was also part of the project. I don't think any work was done on its implementation by the customer as I never saw any work orders raised on it. I was not involved with that side of the project.
The turn around with most work orders was quite good. It showed good commitment to pull through the initial difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back