Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Millions of blank messages sent to a workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2003
GB
Hi, I have one user that gets message after message sent to them from the server. There is absolutely no text in the message and it continues after you reboot. It doesn't seem to matter who logs on to the pc either.

I cannot find anything in the settings anywhere and there doesn't seem to be anything in any logs I can find on the server.

All I get is Message from <ServerName>

I've had to log the pc off novell for now so they can continue using the PC for other things but they really need to be able to access shared drives etc. I have tried reinstalling the client and I'v just about run out of ideas - if anyone can shed any light then I'd be grateful.

Tony

Go to your client properties, and on the &quot;advanced settings&quot; tab, find &quot;Receive Broadcast Messages&quot; and turn them off.

But I would still try to find out what is causing the broadcasts in the first place.. If it's as many as you say, then it is causing a lot of unnecessary traffic on your lan.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks a lot Marvin - that seems to have stopped the user receiving the message (and so the urgency has gone out of it).

Anyone any ideas on how I can find out what was (and probably still is) sending it.

Tony

Is the user that was receiving the messages on a print notification list? Or notification list for backup software? Virus Software? Are your server volumes running low on space? Are error messages showing up on the server console? Sometimes they display on the console but also broadcast to users.

Your best bet might be to run a sniffer ( and capture some packets and analyze them to see if you can find any additional information about why they are being sent.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back