Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Milestones and WBS codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksteel

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Is it possible to insert a Milestone without affecting the WBS structure?

No. All tasks added to a project will receive a WBS code. As to "affect the WBS structure" - I'm not sure what you mean. The milestone will be assigned a WBS number based upon its relative position in the list.

Thanks. We have a "fixed" WBS structure that cannot be altered. Like, "3.1" is Engineering. Inserting a Milestone above "3.1" would, of course, alter the following WBS items. Will probably have to add the milestones at the bottom, even though they will look out of place.

I would construct the Project schedule as it makes sense for the schedule. Use a spare text field to manually enter your fixed WBS codes.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the Client (major pharm company) has its requirements. I have already had to write a program to extract MSP tab deliminated files into a database to generate curves for any task or summary item on demand. Uses assigned task weights and physical progress. (See attachment)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dea21ce2-fd50-4121-acfe-31d552616816&file=MSP.jpg
Thanks, it does help. As long as your milestone is a "child" of WBS 2 - there shouldn't be an issue. I see Engineering as WBS 3.0

Julie

Mistype. Engineering is obviously "3.0" And you have a good point about WBS 2. I can insert there and not mess up the 3.0 series. Don't know why that didn't occur to me. I use inactive WBS 1 and WBS 2 to force WBS 3.0.

This is my first foray into MS Project, as I normally work with Primavera. I like writing standalone programs, as I can import from projects using both systems for analysis and reporting.

Thanks again!

Project has a fairly steep learning curve. Give it time - but let the tool do the heavy lifting for you. You're welcome for the assist and thank you for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back