Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration to Workstation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbfowler

Programmer
Sep 9, 1999
US
My office is getting ready to get new computers, and we are opting for NT 4 workstations to get the free upgrade to Windows 2000. Everyone (including me) is familiar with Win95 and/or Win98, but no one knows WinNT. I will be the answer man, but I don't have any answers yet. What are the main differences between Win95 and WinNT? What problems to new users typically have? What training do I need?<br>
<br>
Rick

M.R.,<br>
Thanks, I'll get the book. As for our server, we have a rather large network (government work) and I will have the option of connecting to Novell, NT, or Linux servers. Any preferences?<br>
<br>
RB

Neither Novell nor NT will pose any problems. I (unfortunately) know very little about Linux. I would imagine it's not too tough. <br>
<br>
If you're administering everything yourself, the learning curve will be flattest by sticking to a pure NT environment. If you need a distributed directory service you're probably going to need some Novell in there somewhere.<br>
<p> <br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Typical end-user problems, things to know or different in NT:<br>
<br>
CTRL+ALT+DEL:<br>
- to lock the workstation and change the password<br>
<br>
Task List (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC):<br>
- to kill non-responding programs (don't tell them to re-boot like Win9Xs)<br>
<br>
The possibility to isolate the trouble-makers (i.e. old 16-bit applications) into separate memory space: if one crashes the others keep on running. Better to test first all old 16-bit applications in NT environment.<br>
<br>
Al

I Have found a very good web site you can access that I use for Windows information.<br>
<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
This site has been my best find so far on the internet for free info on windows platforms.<br>
<br>
Check this site out i am sure it will help you on most of your queries.<br>
<br>
Happy Hunting<br>
<br>

Do your research into user profiles, local or roaming. Are people going to be moving around pc's?

Crick,<br>
<br>
We will have laptops with Win95 installed for the rare raoming occasions that may arrise. The WinNT workstations will be installed in mini-towers. What should I be looking for when I research user profiles? Are there any security issues I should make sure I have?<br>
<br>
RB

For some free training take a look at Microsoft's web site and prepare to do a lot of downloads. Win 2000 is based on NT rather than win95 so anything you learn for NT will not be wasted. Try geting hold of a sample of Microsoft Technet as that contains lots of White Papers and deployment guides.<br>
<br>
We ditched win95 2 years ago and never looked back! The main problems users have is that they can't change setting that they want to but should need to :) <br>
<br>
Have Fun <p>Mike Hoffman<br><a href=mailto:Mike@mcsch.org.uk>Mike@mcsch.org.uk</a><br><a href= personal technical ramblings page</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back