Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration to ex2k with 6 ex5.5 servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehartle

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2001
US
Hello all,

I've got a single domain with 6 Exchange 5.5 servers in 6 different cities. I need to move to ex2k and I have all new servers to get the job done. There is already a 2k domain controller and AD is functioning perfectly (dns, etc) in mixed mode. All exchange servers are NT4 BDC's currently. All sites are connected with at least 256k frame relay. I'm looking for the best way to migrate this scenario to the 6 new ex2k servers and remove the 6 old 5.5 servers from duty. I could easily exmerge all the mailboxes but I need the public folder info as well (15-30 users per site and each site has it's own public folder data). One of the solutions on Technet was to create a temporary child domain in native mode and run the ADC to that domain so that the DL permissions migrate properly but is there any other way? The reason I ask is because if I use ADC to create user accounts in the child domain, how do I then get that info into the parent domain where the accounts already exist?

Would it be a better plan to upgrade the central Exchange server to Windows2k then Exchange 2k even though it's crusty hardware, then bring in one of the new servers and move users and public folders that way? I'm just really hesitant to put AD and Ex2k on this 4 year old server with barely the minimum hardware req's for ex2k.

Related question: I've got plenty of experience with single Exchange server setups but none with multiple servers. When you have multiple exchange servers in the same domain, with users on exchange for each physical location, does exchange just automatically route mail to the proper server for a given user? i.e. are there any connections that need to be manually created?

Thanks,
Earle Hartle

If you have new servers, use them to start fresh.
Start by going through faq858-3483

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back