Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration Resources 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smugg

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2001
US
We are planning a single domain migration or upgrade from a Win 2000 AD domain to Win 2003 AD. I know many of you have done this but I'm having trouble finding the wealth of "How-to's" and documentation that was common with the migration from NT4.0 to Active Directory. I'm hoping this is because the migration/upgrade isn't as complicated. (Yeah, right!)

Can anyone point me to some good instructions, some of the hidden pitfalls, are any resources that can help guide me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it.

Actually the migration is extremely simple.

From the first 2000 DC, insert the Win2K3 CD. Explore the CD to find ADPREP.

Execute the following 2 commands from a CMD prompt.

ADPREP /FORESTPREP
ADPREP /DOMAINPREP

Once this has been done you can either upgrade any DC you want to 2003 or introduce a new DC by promoting a 2003 member server with DCPROMO.

If you want to read a long winded KB that says the same thing as above look here:

The only think you will want to be careful of is if you have Exchange running and plan to also upgrade to Exchange 2003. In that case you will have to deal with an issue called "mangled attributes" which sounds scarier than it is.
I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the help Mark. We currently have Exchange 2003 in our Windows 2000 domain so lets hope that gets us around the "mangled attributes" issue.

Scott.

You'll be fine then.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back