Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration of olap cubes to server in different domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm40

Programmer
Apr 15, 2003
NL
Hi there,
I migrated an olap database from server A to server B:
1. I opened Analysis Services on server A
2. registered server B, and
3. copy from A and pasted the database to B.

When trying to browse the cubes on server B I get the message: "Unable to display the cube until it has been processed (Unspecified error)."

This message shows AFTER the cube has been processed within the Cube Editor window. Editing of cubes is no problem, but browsing is.
If I try to browse the data directly from the Analysis Manager window, the following message appears: &quot;Unable to browse the cube '<name>'. Unspecified error&quot;
(<name> is the name of the cube)

btw: I made sure the source of the data (in this case an Access mdb) was copied to server B, and that the ODBC DSN was updated.

Any ideas?

Hans

Have you tried to fully process the database from outside the editors? Right Click on the Database in the Treeview and select &quot;Process Database&quot;. Also what SP is the new server running? As opposed as I am to SP3 you may want to make sure it is current. It should not matter but I have heard of a number of situations where simply updating the SP version has fixed issues that sound almost like they shouldn't Happen.

Paul

Processing outside the editors is no problem. I can process, edit cubes and dimensions, even Browse member data by rightclick on fact- and dimension tables. It's only when trying to browse data via the Browse Data tab, or Browse data from the Menu that I get the error messages.
I checked SQL Server version. We use SQL Server 2000 SP1 and Analysis Services 8.0.194 on Server A; SQL Server 2000 SP3 and AS 8.0.194 on Server B. According to Microsoft the latest update for SQL Server is SP3a, but you do not need this if you have SP3. I have not found any mentioning of a separate SP-update for Analysis Services only, so assume we're only talking SP for SQL Server.

Another thing: when I use Pivottable Services from Excel to browse the cube I can access the cube without any problem.

Next check the security roles. Changing domains may have had an affect on the security. Try reapplying your users and groups to the roles or create a new role.

You are correct about sp3a. From my understanding SP3 had a number of issues that has caused MS to redo or add some of the changes made by SP3 meaning we will probably all get to apply another service pack in the not so distant future.

Paul

I have tried to add a new cube to AS on server B, and adding only accounts from the new domain, and this gives the same error message.

What I did as part of the migration process is a restore of msmdrep database from database A to database B. As a result of that I now have a user 'dbo' from the old domain, in the msmdrep database on the server B (which is part of the new domain). And I can not remove this user. Is there a way of starting anew (removing msmdrep) or do I have to reinstall AS?

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back