Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration of DNS and DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzkikkr

Technical User
Dec 7, 2013
CA
The customer has DNS and DHCP running on windows and i am supposed to move them over to Bluecat IPAM devices.

I have the software to convert the configs from windwos to bluecat, but i want to know the general steps involved and points to be considered while moving DNS and DHCP from one server to the other.

Note :- i am not responsible for the network changes like IP helper addresses etc, that i being handled by the customer. My job is to migrate the servers from A to B.

Is there downtime involved ? what are the general steps involved ? Are there any special things to consider ?

In short i need to know how to migrate servers from one IP address to the other.

Although it seems to be more common to migrate DNS/DHCP services to appliances, it requires a lot of proper planning in order to ensure a smooth transition. My recommended approach at a high level would be to migrate your DHCP environment first and then run your Windows DNS in parallel with the bluecat appliance

Have you checked the vendor's website on the proper approach in performing the migration. You may also want to engage the vendor itself in order to help.

thank for the response. Incase you did not notice, im a newbie in this field. I will ask bluecat to help me out with this, but i want to be able to ask all the right questions rather than being spoon fed. I am studying about these things, but i wanted an idea of the best practices OR a rough draft/straw man of the procedure of shifting DNS/DHCP servers ..

like you gave an option of moving dhcp first and then waiting.

i guess for that we first reduce the DHCP lease time gradually ..and then lets say we settle at 2 hours of lease time. At this point i cut over to the new server, and things should work. Again this is just what i can think of ....inputs are most welcome

With DHCP, the lease time isn't hugely important as you can disable the old DHCP scopes, scope-by-scope as you are satisfied that each of the new ones is tested and works fine. If you want to force all clients to re-issue a DHCP request, just reboot the switch they are on. (You can combine this with a firmware upgrade, if any are outstanding).
On the other hand, you need to find out what the current network does with the DHCP-forwarding - for example, a H3C core switch does more than just forward, it keeps a table of leases issued and polices their use, meaning with that particular ntework you need to migrate the DHCP config, leases and all from the old server. Hoperfully you don't have that problem.

As for the DNS, that's trickier - you can export your existing DNS zones, but you will need the incoming vendor to demonstrate a workable method for importing them into the new devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back