Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migration from sbs 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altaf786

Technical User
Jun 27, 2009
SA
Dear ,

i am using win ser sbs 2003, now i want to migrate to win ser 2008. kindly advice me which win ser 2008 edition i go for and suitable.

please advice.
thanks

You can migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 if you can find the installation media and license keys. That would be best. There is no reason to go to SBS 2008 instead of SBS2011 -- SBS 2011 runs on Windows 2008 R2, while SBS 2008 runs on Windows 2008. There is no compatibility reason to choose SBS 2008.

If you are looking for what current product to upgrade to, it depends on whether you need to run Exchange on the new server. If you do, then you should get Windows 2012 R2 and use HyperV to host two VMs, one for the DC/fileserver role, and one to run Exchange 2013. If you do not need Exchange, then you should purchase Windows 2012 Essentials. That assumes that you have 25 or less users.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Yeah, how are you gonna buy that OLD version of server 2008?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back