Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration from Netware 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2001
US
I want to try out the migration wizard for Netware 6 on a couple new server boxes but I don't have any experience using the wizard. I'm looking for opinions/experiences (pro/cons) using the migration wizard to go from Netware 5.1 to 6. How is Groupwise handled? Any help would be appreciated.

Migration works pretty well just create a basic version 6 box with a different name, haven't had problems with groupwise, usually with backup software like arcserve you need to re-install.

3rd party programs will probably have to be installed but security, print queues, files should all go smooth and if there's a problem you can revert back to original box it never gets changed--many people underestimate how great of a thing this is but when your doing after hour conversions and your past a point of no return you learn this lesson quick....

Caveats...

Using the Migration util in the past you had to be careful about different version of NDS.

If you have Netports, Jetdirects etc turn them off or the print queue gets corrupted.

Jeff Farr
CCNA,CCDA,CNE
ASE Intel + StorageWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back