Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration from 400 to 450 experience 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2008
US
Hello,

any gotchas when migration from a Nortel BCM 400 to 450

Just make sure that the MSC card that you get back is the same level as it went to Nortel. We upgraded a 4.0 and everything went pretty smooth until we got the MSC card back for the 4.0 and were going to add new codes to it and found out that it is now a 3.5

Did I miss something? As far as I know, you can't migrate a 400 to a 450 yet. It's a forklift. You have to get the new 450 and program everything from scratch...........unless they've come up with the migration path already. Thought that was going to be in the next release.

What year is this? How long have I been asleep? Why didn't somebody wake me up?

As far as I know the migration is just for keycodes, not programming.

Migration from a 400 to 450 is for licensing only. Everything else is a retype. They missed the boat on this one in my opinion. The only times it makes sense to go to a 450 is when your 400 is almost maxed out. Rebuilding 80-90 phones and mailboxes isn't a small undertaking.

I was under the impression that when you did the keycode migration that the old MSC card, or the entire system, had to be shipped back to Nortel. I didn't think there was a MSC card exchange program. The few 400 to 450 migrations I've proposed have been shot down due to the price.

It sure would be nice if there would be a migration utility, even if it was an in house conversion that Nortel offered.

I also would add that the 450 supports 1200 series IP sets, as well as message forwarding and Mailbox manager. Since 1200 sets are half the price of 1140's, that is why I did it.

You are correct it is a license migration and there are cards that you can move from the 400 to the 450. And it is a total programming redo. Customer needed added capacity.

I should have stated my question better. Any problems experienced with the 450 that we should be aware of?

So far we have 3 BCM 450's and no issues yet.
1 of the 3 was an upgrade, yes you do have to reprogram and yes you send in the MSC of the BCM400 and Nortel sends you another MSC back (took about 3 weeks). The only issue we had was we sent in a 4.0 MSC card and Nortel returned to us a 3.5. We had to install this 400 into another site so we just went ahead and upgraded back to 4.0. Not sure if they all come back as 3.5 or if the tech entering their information just made a mistake.

I have only done 1 migration.UK
You get a new system chassis bcm450.to replace your old bcm400
migration keycode to allow your existing keycodes to migrate to the new bcm450 chassis.
You use your existing MBM cards..dsm32+..dtm cards etc

Reprogramme system from scratch (as New)

Then i sent back to nortel the complete bcm400 chassis complete with msc card.

Nothing returned back to me from nortel as the msc card is now thier's

Hawks,

Is there a documented procedure on returning the MSC? I migrated keycodes from a BCM400 to BCM450 a few weeks ago and can't figure out how to send the msc back and get one returned. I called in Nortel and no one had any clue what I was talking about, after several transfers I gave up.

harps08, usually when you do a keycode migration from KRS, you get an email from someone at Nortel providing you with an RMA number. You pack up the card or hard drive or whatever and send it back to the listed address quoting the RMA number on the outside of the box. We are a Nortel partner so I'm not sure if they do it differently for non partners. Bottom line is you need that RMA number.

emillysdad is correct from what I recall. Don't give up because if Nortel does not get the old MSC card to wipe out the keycodes on it. From my understanding you will receive an invoice for all the codes you just moved to the 450.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back