Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating Users from Exch2k org1 to Exch2k org2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevince

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
GB
I have an Exchange 2000 server in one AD forest and another in a different AD forest. I need to gradually move users across and keep this process as invisible to the users as possible. I know how to configure email domain sharing between two exchange organisations according to Q321721 but unfortunately this presupposes a one way connection effectively, as one of my two servers needs to be authoritative for my email domain otherwise messages with unknown hosts will be looped continuously between the two servers. I need users in both organisations to be able to email each other (which can only happen from the non-authoritative to the authoritative server at the moment)Is there any way to achieve this?
Thanks
Kevin

I did this at a previous job for about 200 users, and I used a product called Aelita EMM, they just got bought out by Quest I think. At any rate, I used Aelita EMM to move the windows and ID's users from one org to the other, Aelita did that seemesly without changing passwords and still remembering SIDs from the previous domain (just in case). Aelita cost about $20 a head (don't quote me on that).
After that I just used the mailbox move from MS and it worked like a charm, the users didn't even know they had a domain change. Aelita EMM comes with an agent that takes care of the Documents and Settings folders on the desktops too, I ran that agent during the day while people were working and experienced no problems whatsoever. Real slick app, I don't work for them or anything, I was just impressed.
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, let me know.

ivo

Ivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back