Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating / Upgrading from CFMX 6.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeTraveler

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
US
Hi, I'm wondering what the upgrade and or migration issues might be for the following:

Current:
[ul]
[li]MS Windows Server 2003 Std R2[/li]
[li]MS SQL Server 2000[/li]
[li]ColdFusion MX 6.1[/li]
[/ul]

Proposed:
[ul]
[li]MS Windows Server 2008[/li]
[li]MS SQL Server 2008[/li]
[li]ColdFusion 9[/li]
[/ul]

Hopefully, someone has a good link or whatever related to this that they can share.

3 domains, 2 databases, 2 boxes (db box fire-walled to web box) about 2,000+ users who primarily but irregularly access the application via emailed link.

Goals:
CF9 offers better mail handling and security?
Sql2k8 is faster/richer?
Win2k8 is more secure?

[rockband]

With ColdFusion:
1. check your scheduled tasks, and their paths.
2. check to make sure your custom tags' path
3. folder permissions for ColdFusion to write/edit/delete files in different folders.

with SQL:
1. no more dts > so you will need to write any/all of your dts packages with ssis
2. if you were doing replication/db backups, check the paths.

with Windows:
1. IIS settings,
2. user permissions/settings.

cf8 has better mail engine than cf7 or cf6.1. I didn't have a chance to play around with cf9 yet so I couldn't answer.

I did a similar work migrating from sql 2000 to sql 2005. Another thing is to if you set server compatibility to sql 2008, you might have problems with your sql queries. for example, sql 2005 doesn't like:
a.myId *= b.myId (left join).

Check to see if there are any tags in cf6.1 that are no longer supported in CF9.

my recommendation is to use a development server to test all of these steps. it's a big undertaking. I am sure I am forgetting some but this would be a start ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back