Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating to vb.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

humpydumpy2000

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2016
PH
Hi all,

I had been using MS Access for many years and I fully understand it is very good for prototyping projects. I had been contemplating to move to vb.net since its the closest thing to vba. However I am skeptical given that vb.net is completely different thing I wonder if things would work easy similar to MS ACCESS but I think it is high time to do away with access. I would like to seek recommendations on where I could learn the following since I don't have much time to start from scratch.

I would like to know how can I:
1. Connect to different database servers
2. I had been using unbound forms in Access and DAO, I am still clueless how I can do it in vb.net
3. create temporary tables(access is so convinient on this thing since the formatting of my reports does require me to have temp tables)

I had been using vba on my projects (No queries/macros) I wonder how I can run update/update or delete records that follows my business rules.

heres a sample access project

Suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you.

One solution would be to retain MS Access as the "back-end" database and use VB.Net for the Interface.
Many ICT departments do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back