Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating to new hardware 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2004
US
I am in the process of upgrading OS level from Win2k standard to enterprise to replace an exchange box that is on its last legs. Can I simply restore this box from tape to the replacement server? Or, should I build the new box and exmerge mail to it and then remove the problem server? The problem server is not the first exchange server in the Exchange Org.

You can do it by following this article:
However, the safest way, to do this is for you to configure the new server with a new name and IP address, add it to your existing domain and add all other features that you want that server to do such as DNS, Active Directory, etc. Then, install all the components required for Exchange and join it to the existing Exchange configuration.

Setup replication of public and system folders. Once those have replicated correctly, use the move mailbox wizard to move the mailboxes to the new server.

Leave the old server running for at least a week or so and the clients will automatically redirect to the new server.

Follow this article at Microsoft for details in removing the orginal server:

If everything goes well there will be no downtime and the users will not notice that any changes have been done.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

I have the second server set up with a static ip address and is joined to the existing active directory. It is managements descision to install exchange 2003 on the new server. If I install it while the new server is tied in to our network, will it mess up anything with the present exchange server? How do I setup replication of public and system folders. After exchange 2003 is installed, how do I join it to the existing exchange configuration? How do I acess the move mailbox wizard? I am totally new to exchange installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back