Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating to Gigabit Backbone

Status
Not open for further replies.

techspl

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
TT
Hi All,

I have a fast ethernet network and I would like to upgrade the backdone to Gigabit.

Each site has stacked 3Com 3300 switches with either a 3Com 3300-FX switch or a 3com 3300 switch with dual 100BASE-FX module connected to the stack as well as a layer 3 module in each of the stacks.

All sites are connected using multi mode fiber.

How do I get gigabit on my backbone?

I'm thinking that I can buy:
(1) Two (2) 3Com 4200G swicthes each with a 100BASE-FX SFP module and a 1000BASE-SX SFP module.
(2) Two (2) Gigabit Multimode Extenders (allied Telesyn)

I can then connect the 4200G 1000BASE-FX SFP to the 3300-FX switch. Then connect teh 4200G 1000BASE-SX to the Gigabit Extender and repeat at the other end.

This should work, right?

I'm not too sure if the 3Com 4200G supports the 100BASE-FX SFP modules though. Maybe the Cisco 2960G?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

We do not have the budget to replace all switches so I have to plan carefully how I would upgrade the various links to Gigabit speeds.

Thanks,
techspl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back